Thursday, May 19, 2011

New beginnings and adjusting times

It has been 3 weeks and 1 day since I have officially become a mommy. It's still surreal to me that I have a daughter, that I will eventually have first day of school for many years to come, school plays and concerts, hopefully some sort of band concert in there (wink wink), and 18 years from now I will be crying because my daughter will be graduating high school and wanting to move out and move on. I just don't know how the rest of my world will pan out, but knowing that I have somebody who will continuously depend on me and have unconditional love for me makes me incredibly happy.

Like I mentioned above, it has been 3 weeks and 1 day since Miss Lucia Phair was born. Holy man have I already learned so much and have gone through even more. The hardest part in this whole ordeal was not giving birth, although it was the most painful and extraordinary thing I have ever done in my life, but the fact that it was sooooooo difficult to adjust to a new baby in the home. Austin and I started to pull our hair out because Lucia cried pretty much 24/7. This week, excluding Monday, has been amazing though. We are slowly learning her cries and actually knowing what to do when she does cry. The next step is to get her on a schedule since I only have to be back at work in 4 weeks :(

I shouldn't say that we are super parents since we are starting to figure things out, but it is so wonderful to know what we should be doing for the most part. My little baby is growing up super fast too. She is about 10 lbs now and growing like a ( I don't know what grows fast at this moment, but she is growing like the dickens).

My maternity leave has flown by so far. I do have to say that it has really sucked that the weather hasn't been the best either. Granted, if I weren't a new mommy I would love the weather, but it is either too windy, raining, or just too cold for a little baby to be out and about for a walk. So today we went for our first walk together... I should clarify that it was our first mommy daughter walk together. We walked all the way to Target, got a couple of products in the baby section and some special lotion for mommy, and headed back home. She did such a great job too throughout the whole walk. Only fussed a bit, but it was taken care of by the good ol' pacifier. When we got home she ate 6 ounces of baby formula and stayed up!!! I couldn't believe how hungry she was... but she is so content today so that is all that matters.

I really hope she keeps this up and that Austin and I can learn even more about her so that she can stay a happy baby. Our fear is that she is going to be colicy or an unhappy baby. But now that we have learned tricks of the trade, I am in hopes that we have ourselves a happy baby.

I have 4 weeks left before I have to be back to work and I have mixed feelings about it. I'm excited to have adult time when I go back, but at the same time, I am going to be having a difficult time parting from her. Granted she will be in good company when I am at work. Either with her dad or grandma, but still... I have  a hard time letting go of control. Ask Austin, we had a date night on Tuesday and oh man, I wanted to know how she was doing constantly, and at night when I have to head to bed before she does or Austin, I have a hard time doing so because I want to spend my time with her, comfort her when she gets fussy and hold her when she is calm. It was super hard for me to start having her sleep in her room. This was something Austin and I agreed to do earlier this week. She has done just perfect in her crib, but I miss her in our bedroom. Oh the joys of being a mommy and wanting to rule her world.

No comments:

Post a Comment